This lesson explores premarital agreements, also known as antenuptial or prenuptial agreements. This lesson assumes you already have a basic understanding of premarital agreements.
Laws governing premarital agreements are very state-specific. This lesson provides an overview of those laws, but students should remember that the laws of a particular state are vitally important to the cases they govern.
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. Distinguish between the traditional and contemporary approaches to premarital agreements.
2. List several uniform sources of law pertaining to premarital agreements.
3. Distinguish between procedural and substantive unfairness aspects of premarital agreements.
4. State an example of a premarital agreement involuntarily entered into.
5. Explain when premarital agreements may be subject to more substantive scrutiny than ordinary contracts.