This lesson introduces the law of easements by describing the typical scenario in which the need for an easement arises, examining alternatives to the creation of an easement, offering a legal definition of an easement and summarizing the key sub-issues that arise in this legal area.
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. Define what an easement is.
2. Define what an express easement is.
3. Define what a non-express easement is.
4. Define what an affirmative easement is.
5. Define what a negative easement is.
6. Explain the general rights of an easement owner.
7. Explain the obligations of the owner of the land on which an easement is placed.
8. Describe the typical scenario in which the need for an easement arises.
9. Identify alternative options to creating an easement.