This lesson contains problems and questions concerning the Reasonable Person standard for negligence actions. The central issue in negligence is the duty of care. For the typical adult, the standard is the Reasonable Person of Ordinary Prudence under similar circumstances. This lesson will discuss that issue by focusing on the meaning of:
- Reasonable person
- Ordinary prudence
- Similar circumstances
On completion of the lesson, students will be able to:
1. Identify the basic definitions necessary to understand the concept of a reasonable person.
2. List the three parts of duty.
3. Explain why understanding the concept of a reasonable person is important.
4. Explain why the duty required by negligence is an objective standard.
5. Discuss the role of the jury in determining whether the standard of a reasonable person has been met.
6. Define custom.
7. Analyze the role of custom in the reasonable person standard.